History

Fascinating Facts About Our Church

  • The architect and builder of our present sanctuary also built his own home on Main Street in Mount Holly .  
  • Hickory Grove Baptist Church was instrumental in organizing our church in 1890.
  • The bell in our church was brought from Flat Rock Baptist Church in Mountain Island when the 1916 flood destroyed that area.
  • Our present sanctuary was built in 1924.
  • In 1938, our church helped organize Adrian-Madora Church , which later became Second Baptist. First Baptist also founded East Baptist Chapel, now known as Chapel Baptist Church .
  • The Ladies Aid Society, later reorganized as the WMU, provided much of the money for our original and present sanctuaries and their furnishings. The members made quilts for sale, sold pies and ice cream, and cooked meals to sell.
  • The social life of church members, their principal entertainment, centered in the church with such activities as ice cream suppers, hay rides to Mountain Island and train excursions for all day picnics.
  • The church could not meet payments and lost its first parsonage during the depression. Members had to sign notes to provide financial assurance for church pews and even coal for the furnace.
  • At least one church member wanted to sell his home to donate money for the building of our present sanctuary. Many members gave sacrificially when money was very scarce.
  • Christmas was a wonderful occasion in the church with a tree decorated with lighted candles and a treat bag for each person present. Attendance was huge for the Christmas program.

Church History In Brief

1886 - The August 21 minutes of the Hickory Grove Baptist Church refer to "a protracted meeting" at Mount Holly .

1887 - When Elder J. T. Morris was called as pastor of Hickory Grove Baptist Church, he was instructed to preach at the "arm of the church that is at Mount Holly as often as convenient."

1889 - On December 12, J. M. and Susan Holobaugh sold property in the vicinity of Moore Insurance on Main Street to the trustees of Mount Holly Baptist Church for $100.

1890 - On the second Sunday in January, the Mount Holly Baptist Church was organized in the Lutheran Church. There were 68 charter members. The new church building was dedicated on the fifth Sunday in March. On October 23, the church was received into the South Fork Association.

1915 - A parsonage was built two blocks south of the church on Main Street.

1919 - On November 4, Mount Holly Baptist Church and 19 other churches organized the Gaston Baptist Association.

1924 - The present sanctuary was constructed.

1931 - The Gaston Baptist Association minutes made the first reference to the Mount Holly Baptist Church as Mount Holly First Baptist.

1949 - The first full-time staff member, a combination music-education/secretary, was employed.

1955 - The Educational Building was completed and occupied in February. Open house was held at the completion of the sanctuary renovation in June.

1969 - Memorials made possible the purchase of a two-manual fifteen rank Moller pipe organ with chimes and Schulmerick handbells.

1989 - The sanctuary was renovated and rededicated on July 16 as a start of the beginning of the church's centennial celebration.

2001 - After celebrating the church's 110th Anniversary in October 2000, the church voted to build new a Fellowship Hall and office suite, to renovate the educational building, and to make our buildings handicap accessible. Began "Building the Future" capital campaign drive. 

2003 - New building dedication (Fellowship Hall, Office Suite, elevator). 

2016 - On July 21, a fire caused by workers fixing a roof leak caused severe damage to the 1924 sanctuary and some damage to the 1954 education building. First Baptist Church is presently worshipping in the fellowship hall. We look forward to the day we can go back to our historic sanctuary.